Flight Test Engineer III (CIS)
Simi Valley, CA
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems, tactical missile systems and electric vehicle charging and test systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 40 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones, pioneered today’s advanced EV charging technologies, created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC. Join us today in developing the next generation of solutions from small UAS and tactical missile systems to tomorrow’s electric vehicle charging and test systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Develop System Test Plans, execute simulator and system flight tests, and document test results.
- Determine, communicate, document the flight test objectives, and develop test cards accordingly.
- Estimate time required to conduct testing and complete assigned tasks within the project schedule.
- Lead flight readiness reviews, test event briefs, and post-test debriefs with UAV operators and other flight crew.
- Act as the primary interface to test ranges.
- Ensure test assets are prepared to support testing, including checking that product hardware and software are properly configured, test cards and procedures are written, equipment is operational, batteries are charged, etc.
- Direct test activities, fill in test data sheets and transfer telemetry files to the network.
- Debrief engineering and management team on results of flight and simulator tests.
- Capture test failure details in defect reports, using an issue tracking system (e.g. Bugzilla).
- Provide technical support to responsible engineers and communicate post-flight results.
Required Qualifications & Background
- Minimum BS degree in electrical, software, systems, or aerospace engineering. MS preferred.
- 5+ yrs.’ experience conducting system tests or flight tests.
- Deep understanding of the functionality of major aircraft sub-systems and avionics a must.
- Must have formal test pilot educational background. Equivalency through professional experience acceptable.
- Excellent communication skills, including documenting test plans, procedures, and reports; verbally direct crew during flight tests; capturing system test requirements; recording test failures; and reporting test results.
- Ability to determine regression test requirements based on specific sub-system modifications.
- Ability to analyze test data using software tools like MATLAB or Excel.
- Ability to work with product development engineers to derive test requirements based on product specifications and modifications is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to develop ad hoc tests to troubleshoot test failures.
- Demonstrated ability to independently lead a team with minimal supervision.
- Experience in a DO-178 environment is a plus.
- Experience as a pilot or aircrew member is preferred.
- Good interpersonal skills and able to work well with others across disciplines.
- Travel required.
This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AV designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and efficient electric energy systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. Commercial and governmental entities use AV’s clean transportation solutions such as electric vehicle test systems and electric vehicle fast charge systems, as well as its clean energy solutions. More information about AV is available at www.avinc.com.
How To Apply For Employment
Prior to submitting your response, we encourage you to review our company web site, to learn more about us.
Our URL is: http://www.avinc.com. Principals only need apply. NO agencies need respond.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity.
Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Job Posting SIMI Flight Test Engineer III – 17-230 102417