Range Safety Officer (RSO)
The Range Safety Officer is responsible for the overall safety, user compliance, and standardization of the Tillamook UAS Test Range operations
Duties include but are not limited to:
- Development and execution of UAS Test Range safety policies and procedures
- Ensuring ground and flight safety of operations and conducting safety inspections
- Performing Incident investigations and reporting
- Ensuring safety system compliance and standardization
- Performing safety regulation, policy and documentation review and making recommendations to the Test Range Manager
- Development and execution of risk management and mitigation policies and procedures
- Interfacing with the FAA and, as appropriate, other test ranges to develop a program to qualify and obtain approvals for a fail-safe autonomous flight safety system for UAS
- Performing operations safety analyses to ensure the safety of the public, ground and flight crews for both manned aviation and UAS
- Coordinate with customers to optimize system performance while maintaining safe operations.
- Participate in Technical Review Boards of customers’ proposed UAS configurations and operations
- Chair Safety Review Boards of customers’ proposed UAS configurations and operations
- Advise Range supervisory personnel with respect to the UAS test readiness and flight readiness
- Ensure the safety of fabrication, assembly and test operations
- Ensure compliance of NSC operations with relevant government regulations and standards
- Minimum of six (6) years of experience in Aviation Safety (SMS or military flight safety)
- Familiarity with state and federal Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) standards
- Capable of solving complex problems with little to no supervision on schedule as an individual or as a member of an integrated team
- Strong work ethic and a self-starter
- Must be located within commuting distance of Tillamook, OR.
- Must be able to stand, bend, sit, lift (max 50lbs) and reach as needed to perform the essential functions of the position. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Must already possess, or be able to obtain an FAA Class II Medical Certificate
- Bachelor’s degree
- Bachelor’s Degree in a technical or engineering field of study.
- Pilot qualifications (FAA or military)
- Experience with the FAA AST and federal launch ranges preferred
- Experience in UAS safety and mission assurance preferred
- Completion of a military aviation safety school
- This position requires access to or use of information which is subject to the federal International Traffic in Regulations (ITAR) and Export Administration Regulations (EAR). All applicants for this position must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR and EAR. ITAR and EAR define “U.S. Person” Any individual who is a citizen of the United States, a permanent resident alien of the United States, or a protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C. 1324b(a)(3)
Near Space Corporation also offers an exceptional benefit package including competitive wages, health and dental insurance, paid vacation, sick pay, 401(k) retirement plan, short and long term disability, term life insurance, and holiday pay.
To apply for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, and complete an application available on our web site at www.nsc.aero.
Drug Free Workplace & Equal Opportunity Employer