Airworthiness Engineer, Sr. (CIS)
Simi Valley, CA
Based in California, AeroVironment (AVAV) is a global leader in unmanned aircraft systems, tactical missile systems and electric vehicle charging and test systems. Founded in 1971 by celebrated physicist and engineer, Dr. Paul MacCready, we’ve been at the leading edge of technical innovation for more than 40 years. Be a part of the team that developed the world’s most widely used military drones, pioneered today’s advanced EV charging technologies, created the first submarine-launched reconnaissance drone and has seven innovative vehicles that are part of the Smithsonian Institution’s permanent collection in Washington, DC. Join us today in developing the next generation of solutions from small UAS and tactical missile systems to tomorrow’s electric vehicle charging and test systems that will deliver more actionable intelligence to our customers so they can proceed with certainty – and succeed.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Perform technical and administrative engineering tasks to secure and sustain FAA certifications.
- Leadership in performance and reliability improvements.
- Develop and publish white papers and safety cases to support expansion of commercial operations for UAS.
- Develop and lead various RTCA DO-standards implementation processes.
- Develop solutions and strategies with AeroVironment engineers and the FAA to overcome challenges.
- Support Type, Airworthiness and Production Certificate applications.
- Develop, lead program-specific system safety working groups.
- Perform Fault Tree Analysis (FTA). Analyze system failures to include operator error, system malfunction, unexpected behavior, etc.
- Perform Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA). Understand failures and develop likely failure event sequences.
- Liaison with FAA leadership and ACO’s to support certification and operational programs.
- Assists with system design reviews. Drafts test plans and procedures.
- Creative individual who thinks outside the box to find solutions to never solved problems.
Required Qualifications & Background
- MS in an Engineering discipline or equivalent experience required.
- 5+ yrs.’ airworthiness and certification experience is required.
- 3+ yrs. of general engineering or system safety work is required.
- Must have formal test pilot educational background. Equivalency through professional experience acceptable.
- Must have experience in certifying other components with the FAA or other airworthiness organization. Relevant experience with UAV/UAS’s a plus.
- Must be able to research and review FAA AC, TSO, etc., interpret regulation and applicability.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of FAA regulations.
- Demonstrated analytical skills and an ability to interpret the available regulatory and advisory materials in order to meet project success criteria.
- Must have solid engineering background in various disciplines: structures, communication, avionics, software, ground station.
- Must be able to perform system safety analysis, including hazard assessments (Fault Tree Analysis) and assign risk.
- Must be able to create logic diagrams and analyze system failures.
- Must be able to develop likely failure event sequences and Failure Modes, Effects and Criticality Analysis (FMECA).
- Familiar with Monte Carlo analyses. Ability to perform probabilistic risk assessment a plus.
- Experience writing test plans, procedures, and reports a plus.
- Rigorous flight test experience background a plus.
- FAA Designated Engineering Representative (DER) a plus.
- Experience with CAD drafting a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Computer competency in word processing, spreadsheets a must.
- Some travel required.
This position requires you have access to data and technology that is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). Applicants cannot be hired until they are qualified to have such access.
What We Do
Building on a history of technological innovation, AV designs, develops, produces, and supports an advanced portfolio of Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) and efficient electric energy systems. Agencies of the U.S. Department of Defense and allied military services use the company’s hand-launched UAS to provide situational awareness to tactical operating units through real-time, airborne reconnaissance, surveillance, and target acquisition. Commercial and governmental entities use AV’s clean transportation solutions such as electric vehicle test systems and electric vehicle fast charge systems, as well as its clean energy solutions. More information about AV is available at www.avinc.com.
How To Apply For Employment
Prior to submitting your response, we encourage you to review our company web site, to learn more about us.
AeroVironment Incorporated is an equal opportunity employer, M/F/D/V and works in compliance with both federal and state laws. We are committed to the concept regarding Equal Employment opportunity.
Qualified candidates will be considered for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, marital status, medical condition nor disability, genetics, veteran and all others that may apply.
Job Posting SIMI VALLEY Airworthiness Engineer, Sr. – 17-195 092517